This building was constructed in the year 1933 upon the foundations of the original single-storey structure, providing a spacious and dignified showroom on the first floor, and including the re-modelling of the ground floor premises, resulting in a vastly improved appearance, better presentation of goods, and freer circulation for the public.
The improvements included the first electric passenger lift to be installed in Benoni, a sprinkler system, and a complete equipment of shop fittings designed on the most modern and up-to-date lines.
Externally the building presents an outstanding example of modern architecture.
The simplicity of outline, the suppression of superfluous ornament and the restrained treatment of its various motifs, all combine to produce a dignified and harmonious exterior.
Whole of Interior Fittings: F. Sage & Co. (S.A.) Ltd.
(FRIBA nom papers 1934)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry