This property was granted in 1694 to Abraham Vivier, and was sold in 1723 to Francois du Toit. The original section of the house was erected in 1717, while the front gable dates back to 1826. The H-shaped Cape Dutch house has impressive gables, windows and casements, as well as a beautiful interior.
[Richardson Deidré, 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. p, 106.]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.