This is the third of a row of three most interesting farm complexes. As a farm, this is the oldest in the neighbourhood; its original name, Dal Josaphat, spread to the whole district, while the farm itself acquired a different name (cp. De Bottelary). It was 40,5 morgen in size, and was granted to Peter Beuk of Lübeck in 1693; he had been allowed to settle there since the previous year. Beuk sold it almost immediately to Stellenbosch landdrost Gornelis Linnes, the shortness of his ownership making one suspect that the grant was used to bypass the ban on land grants to VOC officials.
In 1778 the farm came into the ownership of Andries Bernhardus du Toit, and in 1827 it passed to his son Guillaume Johannes du Toit - an unusually long ownership - for more than double the price; by now it was called Roggeland (rye lands). It was this AB du Toit who almost certainly built the H-shaped house still standing some time during his ownership. Around the turn of the century the Roggeland complex was one of the many that was overhauled, with an iron roof clipping off all its gables. But some of its original flush casements at the back (the road side), and the very good interior woodwork - ceilings, doors and a four-leaved panelled screen - were retained. The windows and door in front had been installed by GJ du Toit's son of the same name, to whom the farm passed in 1847. A stoep runs round all four sides. Roggeland has since been immaculately restored (by GT FAGAN) and given a simple holbol gable.
There are several old outbuildings, all with iron roofs. One is L-shaped, its front left half a three-room dwelling, the rest a stable and the back wing a wagon-house. It has a holbol end-gable with a segmental cap, a type belonging to after 1800. A werfmuur running in front of the three aligned buildings, and the stream behind, complete the interesting complex. The complex is now a guest-house.
[Fransen Hans, 2004. A guide to the old buildings of the Cape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. p, 296-7.]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.