Sytze Wopkes WIERDA: Design Architect
John Johnston KIRKNESS: Contractor
HOLM JORDAAN HOLM: Restoration Architects 1991
Click to view map
The Foundation Stone of which was laid in 1889 by President Kruger. All the doors and windows for this building were made in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, by Samuel Baikie & Company - owned by the father-in-law to John KIRKNESS, contractor to the project, - shipped from there to Durban, railed to Charleston, the rail terminus at that time, and transported by wagon to Pretoria.
A massive and glorious pile of buildings, considered by some to be the most imposing structure in Africa. They were begun in 1889, and completed in 1891, at a cost of £175 000. The carving above the portico, of the Transvaal arms, in white stone, with the national motto, quoted above ("Union makes strength"), is a very fine piece of work; as is also the statue of Liberty , which crowns the edifice. The chambers for the first and second Volksraads are beautiful rooms, and the whole building is a credit to its architects.
Ref: Photographs of South Africa Comprising Representative Views etc, The South African Photo-Publishing Company, Cape Town, 1894: Pg 145.
[Submitted by William MARTINSON, December 2010]
RAADZAAL, PRETORIA. – The chief architectural glory of Pretoria is the Raadzaal, or Government Buildings, which occupies one side of Church Square. This handsome and imposing structure has a frontage 175 feet (53.34m) wide, a depth of 220 feet (67.06m), and a height of 125 feet (38.1m) from the ground to the top of the figure of Liberty, which surmounts the entrance; it contains two Chambers for the Volksraad, the President's and all the Public Offices of the State. The first Volksraad Chamber, in which portraits of President Kruger, Commandant-General Joubert, and General Smit are placed, is a spacious hall 64 feet (19.51m) wide and 42 feet (12.8m) high; and the second chamber is 44 feet (13.41m) by 44 feet. On the ground floors there are fire-proof rooms, where the State archives and land registers are deposited. The buildings are erected from designs by Mr. WIERDA, the Government Architect, at a total cost of £138,000.
[Anon, c. 1899. Picturesque South Africa - An album of Photographic Views. Cape Town: Dennis Edwards & Co. p 176.]
Writings about this entry