Share this record
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde KerkMartin TURK: Architect
Franschhoek, Western Cape
|Date:||1847 : 1881 : 1968||Type:||Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church|
Click to view map
33°54'34.23" S 19°07'08.30" E Alt: 273m
The original church was completed in 1847. In 1881 transepts were added giving it the present shape of the Latin cross. The original roof was a pole structure and thatch but at some stage the thatch was replaced with iron. The present roof structure dates from 1968 when the thatch was reinstated and the church was restored and the interior was totally altered.
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 283|
|Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 57|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2005. Van Kerke en Dorpe. Historiese vertellinge oor die oudste kerke en dorpe in Suid-Afrika. Centurion: Publiself Uitgewers. pg 36|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2012. Geskiedkundige kerke : 'n Gids tot 50 tradisionele kerke. Pretoria: Kontak-uitgewers. pg 47-48|
|Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pg 34|
|Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2010. 101 Country Churches of South Africa. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 88|