please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde KerkPaulus JC HOFMAN: Architect
Knysna, Western Cape
Click to view map
34°01'59.65" S 23°02'53.26" E Alt: 36m
Wording on Knysna Historical Society plaque
The Dutch Reformed Church
In the Government Gazette of April 1851 approval of the DR
parish and its boundaries, to be called "The Knysna", was granted
The first church, which was built in 1851 and served the congregation
until 1904, was a thatched roof structure of wood and stone, in a
Gothic T-shaped design, similar in shape to today's church, but smaller.
The congregation outgrew this building and in July 1904 Paulus JC
Hofman of Oudtshoorn was appointed both architect and builder of
the present church. The corner stone was laid on 12 November
1904 by Ds. George Murray of Oudtshoorn. The first service in the
new church was held on 16 June 1905.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry