Griekwastad, Northern Cape
Click to view large map
The town was used as a meeting place for the local people as early as 1802. The first name given was Leeuwenkuil (Lion well) apparently due to a beautiful family of lion being born at a well nearby. It was then named Klaarwater (Clear water) because of the water being particularly clear. It was the London missionary John Campbell who changed the name to Griekwastad in 1912.
(Extracted and translated from Nienaber 1963:230)
List of references:
List of structures: