Peddie, Eastern Cape

Founded: 1834

Built on the site of Fort Peddie named after Lieutenant-Colonel John Peddie.

 


Click to view large map

List of references:

Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 111
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 163-164
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 35

List of structures:

Anglican Church: c1874. Fredericksburg,
Bridge over the Keiskamma River, Line Drift: 1892-1894.
Craigshead, Weir and Pump Station: n.d..
Dick King Memorial: 1942.
Elizabeth Shepstone’s Grave: c1900 : 1950s.
Etembeni Lutheran Church: n.d..
Farmhouse, Hazeldene: c1900.
Fort Peddie: n.d..
Great War Memorial 1914-1918: 1933.
Line Drift Post: 1835.
Mfengu / Fingo umQwashu / Milkwood Tree: 1835.
N2 Road Bridge over Keiskamma River: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1874 : 1904.
Peddie Secondary School: 1920.
Tsocha River Bridge: 1894.
Watch Tower: 1841.