Rosendal, Free State
Click to view large map
The layout of the town was defined on a drawing titled "Sale Plan of the Township of Rosendal situate on the farm 'Rosendal', district Ficksburg." The planning followed a rectilinear grip interspersed with various open areas, including Gladstone Park, De Villiers Square, Kestell Tuin (Garden), Hobhouse Park (on which the 'Town Hall' was indicated) and the Market Square. The site for the Dutch Reformed Church formed the central focus of the town at the crest of the gentle slope on which the town was laid out.
A locality plan at a smaller scale showed the position of Rosendal - in the foothills of the Wittebergen - with respect to the towns of Senekal and Ladybrand. A small vignette was included on the Plan showing a double gabled Free State Cape Dutch revival house with a horseman in the foreground. A second vignette showed two cows with an extensive mountain landscape in the background. (See photo)
The following plot sizes were defined on the drawing:
Residential Plots 150' x 200' (45.72m x 60.96m) and 135' x 200' (41.15m x 60.96m)
The erven were surveyed by the Government Land Surveyor, John (possibly Johannes) van Rensburg, on 22 June 1911. The 'Sale Plan' was drafted at his office in Rex St, Winberg.
The original 'Sale Plan' is framed and hangs in the office of the Rosendal Municipality. (2010)
[William MARTINSON, October 2010]
List of structures: