Worcester, Western Cape

Founded: 1820

Named after the Marquis of Worcester, elder brother of the governor, Lord Charles Somerset.


Click to view large map

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 31-33, 36, 38-40, 43, 50
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 395-401
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 174-182
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 226-228
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pp 52
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 97-98
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 77-78
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 163-166

List of structures:

Barclays Bank: 1930.
Boland Open Air Museum: 1984.
Botha's Halt Public School, new Building: 1933.
Boys' High School: n.d..
Boys' High School: 1911.
Boys' High School, hostel: 1918-59.
Boys' Primary School: 1931.
Büros Victory Mills: 1977.
Clothing Co Bldg: 1919.
Community Centre: 1969.
Da Vinci Building: n.d..
Deaf and Dumb Institute: 1932.
Drostdy - Now Museum: 1824.
Gereformeerde Kerk: 1968.
Girls' High School: pre-1911.
House Droom: 1981.
House Fox: 1955.
Klein Plasie at Worcester for Jimmy Malan: n.d..
Kramat Sayed Nassier: n.d..
Little Theatre: 1960.
Magistrate's Court: n.d..
Methodist Church: n.d..
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: c1905.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1896-1899.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1832.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Vallei: 1954.
Rusbank Gallery: 1967.
School (Originally, so-called ''Malay''): 1964.
St James the Great Anglican Church: 1855.
Standard Bank: c1939.
Union Jubilee Monument: 1960.
Volkskas Building Worcester: 1970.
WM Cuthbert: 1919.
Worcester Boys' School: 1897.
Worcester Traffic Centre: c 1995.