A pioneer engineer and architect in Johannesburg, Philip was born in Banff in Scotland; he trained as an engineer in Aberdeen. He arrived in the Cape Colony in 1886 and travelled to Johannesburg in 1887. Philip was soon associated with the pioneer mining companies and became architect of the second Corner House for Hermann Eckstein & Co (Eckstein Building, plan 1889), the first three-storey building in Johannesburg but with few architectural pretensions. By 1895 its original three-storey cast-iron balconies had been replaced by a further, more elaborate set of balconies. He was consulting architect for the Rand Club (1887) as well as a proprietary member of that club. Around 1888 he was in partnership with C MURRAY in Johannesburg; an article on Murray (DSAB IV:383) refers to a partnership between Philip and Murray and Leek (LECK) in Johannesburg at this date (cf PHILIP, MURRAY & LECK). It is not clear how long the partnership lasted. In about 1890 Philip was in partnership with C CARMICHAEL and C Murray in Pretoria (cf PHILIP, CARMICHAEL & MURRAY) when they designed the Law Chambers on Church Square (1890). By 1896 Philip seems to have been working in partnership with R LESLIE (cf PHILIP & LESLIE) as architects of the Transvaal Gold Fields Building in Johannesburg and by 1897 they were listed together working from City Chambers, Johannesburg. After the Anglo-Boer War Philip was in partnership with DM SINCLAIR at Loveday House, Johannesburg. This partnership lasted three years according to Sinclair, who also mentioned that before he had entered partnership with Philip he worked for Philip & Leslie (FRIBA nom papers DM Sinclair) (cf. PHILIP & SINCLAIR). The partnership between Philip and Sinclair is not listed in any directory, but the United Transvaal directory (1907) listed Philip at Loveday House (alone - no Sinclair listed) and in 1911 Sinclair (alone) was listed at Loveday House.
He married Charlotte Elizabeth Tregaskis in Heilbron, Free State. They had three daughters Barbara Elaine, Charlotte Gertrude and Florence Marion. At the time of his death he was living at 54 Muller Street, Yeoville, Johannesburg, Gauteng.
Member SA Assn of E & A; AMICE (London). (ARIBA nom papers cf DM SINCLAIR; DSAB 4:383, see Murray; Longland's Jhb & SAR dir 1897; SAWW 1908, 1910; UTD 1907; Van de Waal 1987)
These notes were last edited on 2021 01 14
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|95-7 Wolmarans St for W Dettelbach: 1893. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Building for Darrell Smith: 1895. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|City Chambers: pre-1910. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Corner House - Second: 1889. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|National Bank of South Africa: pre-1910. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Rand Club, consulting archt: 1889. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |