Sir John BURNET, Thomas Smith TAIT and Francis LORNE formed a partnership based in London. In 1935 BURNET TAIT & LORNE were commissioned by Sir Ernest Oppenheimer to design the giant headquarters of the Anglo-American Corporation of South Africa building at 44 Main Street, Johannesburg. In that year Tait was heavily committed to other projects and by mutual agreement Lorne became partner-in-charge and made several visits to South Africa in 1935 and 1936 to organise the project. Initially at least the design owed much to Tait as its massing and fenestration reflected the Norwich competition design and the original proposals for the Calton Road frontage of St Andrew's House in Edinburgh. Lorne married in South Africa in 1938 and again in 1941 after that did not prove a success.
(Greig 1971:146; SAB May 1940:33 ill; Van der Waal 1987:200, 201)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.