Gardner was in charge of the School of Arts and Crafts at the Technical College, Port Elizabeth. He registered as a member of the Institute of South African Architects in 1927. In 1959 he was listed as a member of the staff at the University of Massachusetts. He retired in 1967. He was responsible for the sculptures on the Richardson Building in Port Elizabeth.
(ISAA mem list)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.