please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
St Boniface's Catholic ChurchK HUSSEY: Architect
Knysna, Western Cape
|Date:||1950||Type:||Roman Catholic Church|
Click to view map
34°02'04.76" S 23°03'03.07" E Alt: 20m
Wording on Knysna Historical Society plaque:
St Boniface’s Catholic Church
The Roman Catholic community in Knysna was founded around 1861,
when a small chapel and schoolroom were built in Queen Street by
Father Rooney of George where the present presbytery now stands. The
first church was consecrated in 1863. The first resident priest was appointed
in 1891. During the visit of the Rt. Rev. Bruno Hippel of Oudtshoorn to
Knysna in 1949, planning started on the building of a new church in Queen
Street, and a building subscription fund opened. Plans for the new church
were drawn by Brother John Tenhof and developed further by architect
K. Hussey of Pretoria, whilst Brother Joseph Becker was responsible
for most of the carpentry work. Bishop Hippel laid the foundation stone
on 23 April 1949 and the church was opened and blessed by the Bishop
on 17 October 1950. The design of the church is in the modified
Mediterranean Revival style.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.