NZASM South-Eastern Line Railway Houses
Click to view map
The sandstone building top right is a row house which was probably built for single quarters. The house is depicted in a photograph (de Jong et al 1988:182) just after completion with wrought-iron columns to the verandah. Wasserfall 1989:230 shows a similar building in Waterfal-Boven built in 1895 and converted into married quarters in 1905. (see right)
The sandstone house top left is a typical 'Type C' semi-detached. (see right). It is viewed in the same photograph with wrought-iron columns to the verandah.
The plastered houses are not listed in either of the reference books and are probably much later. What is very interesting is the lack of a window to the right of the front door.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry