please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Methodist ChurchAndrew HEPBURN: Architect
Knysna, Western Cape
Click to view map
34°02'05.18" S 23°03'07.74" E
Wording on the Knysna Historical Society plaque:
The Methodist Church
The foundation stone of this church was laid in November 1892
on land bought for £35. Prior to and during the building of this church,
the Wesleyan community worshipped in the local Court House, now
the police station, in Main Street. Mr. Andrew Hepburn of the Knysna
Forest Co. designed the church in the Gothic style, which was built at
a cost of £600 under the supervision of DW McFarlane.
The yellowwood pews and pulpit were designed by Mr Leonard Willis,
a member of the congregation, and were made by Knysna Forest
Co. The church was completed a year later and the first service was
held on 29 October 1893. The entry porch, which hides the
original entrance door, was added later.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.