MacKay Bros Building
Click to view map
Originally built for MacKay Bros Ltd.
The MacKay Bros sold gramophone records and musical instruments and, in 1914, were the first to import records from the UK which they sold from ox-wagons. They were the local agents for EMI until the late 1930s. One of the brothers, Donald William MacKay, was mayor of Johannesburg from 1936-37 - after whom the Donald MacKay Park in Berea was named in 1939.
The ground floor was originally designed to be used as a "piano saloon" and the first floor as a "gramophone saloon".
When the Allies Club of South Africa occupied the building during the 1940s, the ground floor was used as a restaurant and the first floor as a dance hall.
By the 1950s the building was leased to Baron’s Furnishers.
The building has remained largely intact but the shopfronts have been altered.
(Paul van der Merwe, July 2017)