Road Bridge over the Lourens River
Click to view map
The bridge was previously also popularly known as the Military Bridge (see name on early postcard image).
This bridge is a milestone in the history of south African communications. Because the roads of the Cape Colony were in a deplorable state, the Government in 1843 established a Central Roads Board of six nominated members (three of whom were officials). John Montagu, the Colonial Secretary, was the force behind this body. One of its first tasks was the construction (1843-45) of a hard road from Cape Town to Eerste River across the Cape Flats, which up to that time were almost impassable.
This work was rounded off in 1845 by the construction of a bridge across the Eerste River and another across the Lourens River at Somerset West.
These works together with the construction of the road over Hottentots Holland Kloof (Sir Lowry's Pass), for the first time ensured satisfactory communication between Cape Town and the interior.
The bridge was used until the new one next to it was completed in 1938. It is situated on the outskirts of Somerset West on the main road to Sir Lowry’s Pass and the Strand, and was proclaimed in 1938.
(Van Riet Lowe; Malan 1949: pp 72-3)
In April 1952, the old bridge featured in the tercentenary celebration of the landing of Jan van Riebeeck. A 6 ft (1,8m) wide strip of wet concrete was laid across the middle of the bridge and an old-fashioned post cart drawn by six horses rode across the bridge to the Eastern Cape. The imprints of the horses’ hooves and the cart wheels can still be seen. From Heritage Report by Timothy Hart, August 2000
Submitted by Lila Komnick
Writings about this entry