Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Drieankerbaai
Three Anchor Bay, Cape Town, Western Cape

William Patrick Henry BLACK: Architect 1903

Date:1878-79 : 1903 : 1939
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Extant
Street:265 Main Road

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°54'35.31" S 18°23'44.72" E Alt: 25m

The foundation stone was laid by David Tennant on 12 February 1878, and the building was inaugurated by Rev Andrew Murray on 9 July 1879. The congregation formally separated from Cape Town in 1880. Initially called 'Groenpunt' [Green Point], it changed its name to 'Drieankerbaai' [Three Anchor Bay] in 1903.

The building was damaged by tremors caused by artillery firing exercises at the Sea Point Battery on the slopes of Signal Hill in 1892, but the Cape government agreed to pay for repairs.

Plans were approved for the addition of a tower with a steeple in 1902, the architect being W. Black. The work was completed in 1903. The steeple was replaced with a new one of different design in 1939.

The church was proclaimed a national monument in its centenary year, 1979.

(Arthur Radburn, January 2026)


References:

Dreyer, Andries. 1907. Historisch album van de Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk in Zuid-Afrika. No. 1, De Ring van Kaapstad. Kaapstad: Cape Times. pg 88-91
Malan, Etienne G . 1980. Die Kerk teen Seinheuwel. Cape Town: Privately published. pg