please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
St George's Anglican Church - SecondSIMPSON and BRIDGMAN: Architect
Knysna, Western Cape
Click to view map
34°02'06.29" S 23°03'01.47" E Alt: 16m
Wording on Knysna Historical Society plaque:
The new St George's Church
In April 1919 during the incumbency of the Rev. B.C. Morthimer, a resolution
by the parishioners was taken to build a new church which would serve to
be a living monument to those who died during the Great War 1914 – 1918.
The project came to a halt in 1922 when initial tenders revealed a severe shortage
of funds, and it was only in September 1926 that the foundation stone was laid by
the Rt. Rev. Bishop Henry Sidwell, DD, Lord Bishop of George. The design of the
church, to accommodate a congregation of 250, was by architects Simpson &
Bridgeman of Oudtshoorn, the tender offer of 6300 was accepted and the builder
was J. Donald of Knysna. The building was completed by a Building Committee.
To raise additional funds, glebe lands in Voortrekker Road and Paradise
Farm were sold, and after many setbacks, the first service in the new church
was held in 1928. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Herbert L. Gwyer consecrated
the church in 1937 when all debts had been settled.
St George's 1849
St George's Lychgate
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 163-164|