St John's Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - the Round Church
Sometimes dubbed "Solomon's Temple" after the founder Henry Solomon. It was a Dutch Reformed Church but was shared by congregations of all denominations including members of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches. It was opened in 1878 and had a diameter of 15.5 metres with a capacity of 300 persons. Legend has it that it was designed to be round so that there could never be a denominational corner. It was bought by the Cape Town Municipality in 1924 for road widening and was demolished, despite vehement protests from local parishioners.
(SALQB Dec 1967:57)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry