Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Congregational Church
Central Cape Town, Western Cape

William Henry KÖHLER: Architect
Peter PENKETH: Architect

Date:1857
Type:Congregational Church
Status:Demolished c1910­­
Street:Caledon Sq

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°55'37.43" S 18°25'28.44" E Alt: 16m

Known as the Buitenkant Congregational Church.

Ascribed to William Henry KÖHLER but Radford (1979:121) suggests that Peter PENKETH adapted the plans.

Visible on the Millard panorama c.1859 and the Budricks panoramas c.1900. Demolished and replaced with an E Sacks, Futeran & Co Merchants warehouse building probably c.1910. (Rennie 1978: 338). Still same when inspected by Rennie in 1978.

The adjoining Congregational Church Hall in Caledon Street was repurposed. In recent years it was the foyer of the Fugard Theatre which opened in 2010.

When the church was demolished, the pews were moved to the Congregational Church in Claremont.


Books that reference Congregational Church

Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838-1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 121, 126, 190
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 338 item 109.3