Grey College - First
Click to view map
Unfortunately the original brick walls have been plastered but the building has otherwise remained unchanged.
Although additions were done by BAKER & MASEY in 1904, by 1906 the stand in the centre of the city was too small and the college was moved to a site in what at that time was an outlying part of Bloemfontein as Grey University College and School. This building later served various purposes – as teachers' college, men's residence of the University College, and the Free State Technical College – but it was always in the service of education, and in this way was saved from dilapidation and demolition. (Schoeman 1985:71)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry