![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Tweetoringkerk | ![]() | |
Click to view large map Coordinates: | In 1878 WB HAYS won the open competition for the design of the Dutch Reformed Church in Bloemfontein with a neo-gothic design, however, the design was considered too expensive by the church committee who appointed R WOCKE to carry out a cheaper and simpler design. In 1963 it was declared a national monument. Greig 1971 has 'Twee Toring Kerk'. -------------------- The Dutch Reformed congregation of Bloemfontein was established on November 30, 1848. Initially, services were held in the First Raadsaal in St. George’s Street, but on January 6, 1849, Major Henry Warden laid the cornerstone of the first church building on the site where the Twin Tower Church now stands. On that occasion, he also donated a church bell to the congregation. The construction of this church progressed slowly, and the congregation could only take occupation of it four years later, on Saturday, May 29, 1852. The population of the capital grew rapidly, and the church building soon became too small. By 1862, there was already talk of building a new church, but this would only commence in 1874. The old building was demolished to make way for the new one, and in the meantime, the congregation held its services in the warehouse of the G.A. Fichardt firm across the street. On May 10, 1878, President J.H. Brand laid the cornerstone in the presence of a large crowd. Exactly two years later, the construction was completed, and on May 7, 1880. The mahogany pulpit was crafted by Ernst Schmidt, a son of a German missionary and a member of the congregation. The church remained unchanged until 1935 when, one night in April, the western tower, including the clock, collapsed. Due to the risk that the other tower might also collapse, it was dismantled, and both towers were sealed up to the height of the roof. Funds were raised before and during World War II, not only for the restoration of the towers but also for the expansion of the consistory, the addition of a baptismal room, and an office for the scribe. By the end of 1942, both towers had been rebuilt, and on May 1, 1943, the restored church was rededicated. (Translation from: afrikanergeskiedenis.co.za All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon. References:
|
|