Currently nothing much is known about McArthur. He was working as an architect in the Orange Free Sate in the 1880s. In 1885 he was engaged on the west wing of the National Museum (the former Council Chamber) in Bloemfontein when he had a quarrel with the Museum Committee and the Inspector of Public Works. Public Works Department correspondence of 1881-1886 mentions his sudden and inexplicable departure. He was responsible for work on two Dutch Reformed Churches, one at Heilbron and one in Bethlehem (n.d.).
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.