NZASM Rand Tram Railway Station
Statistics indicate that Jeppe Halt (formerly School) soon became the busiest passenger station after Park Station. The NZASM in 1895 started work upon the erection of a rather imposing brick station building to replace the humble corrugated iron facility, probably for the same reason in the case of Park Station, namely its popularity as a commuter destination. This edifice was completed in 1896. Its builder is as yet unknown.
The plan of Jeppe Station was very similar to that of the new Springs Station building, also completed in 1896. It consisted of a central portion containing office, entrance hall, waiting-room and luggage-room, with two wings attached to it, one of which housed the station-master's accommodation, the other containing toilets and waiting-room for ladies, as well as one for passengers of colour.
The two wings of Jeppe Station were for some reason never built during the NZASM period, as is shown by photographs taken after the Anglo-Boer War. Though the building in essence remained incomplete, it was still a fine example of NZASM architecture with pleasing proportions and pointed gables, decorative bands and a lean-to platform canopy. Later photographs, however, show that the two wings were indeed added on at some time during or after the CSAR period. During 1938-1939 a sunken railway line was constructed to the east of the old Rand Tram line, thereby eliminating level crossings. A new station complex was established at Jeppe. A street was built where the NZASM line used to be. The old Jeppe Station building fell into disuse and was demolished.
[Extracted and transliterated from De Jong et al, 1988: 88.]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry