please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Grand Hotel - President HotelWilhelm (Wim) Johannes DE ZWAAN: Architect
Click to view map
25°44'50.07" S 28°11'18.01" E Alt: 1323m
The hotel was built in 1890 by Mrs Lys and called the President Hotel. The proprietor was HWF Burger in 1892. In 1895 it became the Grand Hotel, with Mr S Schlomer as proprietor. It was one of the finest hotels in South Africa, comparing very favourably with its European contemporaries. It had accommodation for 70 visitors. (Dunston et al 1975:69)
(SAB Dec 1926:3)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pg 201|
|Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 24, 55, 62, 63, 69, 71, 92, 96, 100, 192, 194, 204, 210, 216, 218|
|SAWW & Donaldson, K (Ed.). 1920. South African Who's Who (Social, Business & Farming) 1919-1920 . Cape Town: Ken Donaldson. pg 420|