|Street:||Van der Walt Street|
Click to view map
25°45'00.42" S 28°11'36.80" E Alt: 1326m
Sir Winston Churchill escaped from this building when, for a time, it was used to house prisoners-of-war during the Anglo-Boer War. Single-storied, of red brick with ochre dressings, it was very typical of the lesser Republican buildings produced in the drawing offices of the PWD. With the facade divided into the customary five sections, there are all the stock embellishments, such as the oversized stone finials topping the gables, and a positive forest of air vents.
Greig, 1971 has it as 'The State Model School'.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Dunston, Lola & Dunston, Tom. 1975. Young Pretoria 1889-1913. Pretoria: Dunston. pg 156, 304, 306|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 191|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 281|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 165|
|Fisher, Roger C The Third Vernacular: Pretoria Regionalism — Aspects of an Emergence: in Fisher, RC, Le Roux, SW and Maré, E (Eds). 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal: pp 127|
|Holm, Dieter Kerkplaats and Capitalists: The First Architects in Context: in Fisher, RC, Le Roux, SW and Maré, E (Eds). 1998. Architecture of the Transvaal: pp 65|