REINFORCING STEEL COMPANY: Engineer
Replaced St Mary's Hall.
The building has reinforced concrete girders of 12,1 m span and 4,325 m depth which carried a monolithically cast reinforced concrete first floor slab which in turn carried at the joints the columns of the six floors above! The reinforced concrete structure was designed by ALL BAKER for, and engineered by the REINFORCING STEEL CO.(SAB Apr 1934; SAAR Dec 1935:357-60; SA Acad exhib 1934)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.