Entry in the book

Architecture of the Transvaal

Chapter six page 123

Author:Fisher, Roger C
Title:The Third Vernacular: Pretoria Regionalism — Aspects of an Emergence

The post-war years saw the rise of an architecture which emerged from the Pretoria School, later to be termed Pretoria Regionalism. Roger Fisher investigates the various influences to which these architects were subject.

Buildings linked to this chapter

Church Square, 1910, Central, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 137
Gereformeerde Kerk, 1959, Potchefstroom, North West. pp 145 ill 6.16
Greenwood House, c1951, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 134, 141 ill 6.2; 6.5, 142 ill 6.6
Groote Schuur Hospital, 1932, Cape Town, Western Cape. pp 129
House McIntosh, 1936-7, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 124
House Preller (Dombeya), 1960's, Hartbeespoort, North West. pp 142 ill 6.9
Kleinteater - Little Theatre, 1961, Central, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 134, 142 ill 6.8
Land Bank, 1941, Potchefstroom, North West. pp 135
Mahlamba Ndlopfu (was Libertas), 1940, Bryntirion, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 139
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk, 1922, Mkhondo (Piet Retief), Mpumalanga. pp 144 ill 6.13
Netherlands Bank - Second, 1896, Central, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 129
Netherlands' Bank: Bank of Netherlands - Nedbank, 1953, Pretoria Central, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 130
Park Station, 1932, Central, Johannesburg, Gauteng. pp 138
Polleys Arcade - Wachthuis, 1959, Central, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 122 ill, 134
Post Office, c1938, Krugersdorp, Gauteng. pp 128
Staatsmodel School, 1897, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 127
Tshilidzini Hospital, early 1970s, Thohoyandou, Limpopo. pp 143 ill 6.10; 6.11
University of Pretoria, Merensky Library, 1933, Hillcrest, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 146 ill 6.18
Voortrekkers' Gedenksaal - Memorial Hall, c1930, Pretoria, Gauteng. pp 146 ill 6.19; 6.20

People or firms linked to this entry

COLE BOWEN, Robert Edward, (Coley). pp 128