SIMPKIN, EdwardBorn: 1853
Died: 1919 06 21
SIMPKIN's name is also found spelt SIMKIN or SIMKINS (Radford 1979:132; SAAE&S Jnl Sep 1907:212); Heroldt (1988:337) spells the name Simpkins; other sources which include the South African Who's Who (1908) and Brown (1969) spell the name Simpkin, which, since it is the most frequently used spelling, is adopted here. Simpkin was born in Bury, Lancashire, England, and was educated and trained in Manchester. Currently nothing is known about his training. In 1880 he arrived in Cape Town where he set up practice. He appears to have found work designing terraces of houses in Cape Town for speculators initially. According to Heroldt (1988:337) he worked for Charles Freeman in Cape Town for a time until the mid-1890s. He won two competitions in 1896, Riebeeck College, Uitenhage, and the Harbour Board Offices, Cape Town, and was a founder member of the South African Society of Architects in Cape Town (1902).
Mem SASA, Cape Town 1902. (Afr Archt Jul 1911:33; Heroldt 1988; Picton-Seymour 1977; Radford 1979; Rennie 1978b; Rennie 1983; SAA&B Aug 1904 bus dir; SAA&B Apr 1905:139; SAAE&S Jnl Oct 1906:10, 11; SAWW 1908)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Bowling Club: 1906. Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|Fish Market: 1889/99. Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|Harbour Board Offices: 1900. Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|Nos 60-66: 1895. Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|Riebeeck College: 1896. Kariega (Uitenhage), Eastern Cape - Architect |
Books citing SIMPKIN
|Brown, SM. 1969. Architects and others: an annotated list of people of South African interest appearing in the RIBA Journal 1880 1925. Johannesburg: Unpublished dissertation, University of the Witwatersrand. pp |
|Walker, Michael. 2010. A Statement In Stone. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pp 12|
|Walker, Michael. 2012. Early architects of Cape Town and their buildings (1820 - 1926) with postcard illustrations, The. St James: Michael Walker. pp 41-42|