NZASM South-Eastern Line
This was the line connecting the Witwatersrand to the Durban Harbour
It required a co-operative agreement of the NZASM with the NATAL GOVERNMENT RAILWAYS which undertook its commitments to the project as a matter independent of its Natal headquarters.
The first portion to be completed was the short section between Charlestown and the ZAR border, undertaken by HS SMITH as contractor.
The line between Border Spruit and Heidelberg was divided into twelve sections. The line between Heidelberg and Elsburg into two sections. The first was awarded to PJ MOSTERT and TJ ATTERBURY for earthworks and masonry for the first section and DONALDSON & FAWCUS (also involved on the Eastern Line) for the second.
In September 1894 when all abutments and piers of most bridges from Volksrust to Heidelberg were ready the contract for the steel superstructures was awarded to Mitcheson & Kollbrunner. On the Heidelberg to Elsburg Section this contract was awarded to Th WINTER. by 2 January 1896 the whole line was opened for traffic.
All towns along the line were provisioned with station building, namely (from south to north):
Bridges constructed along the line were (from south to north):
Groot Spruit Bridge
Bridge east of Greylingstad 1
Bridge east of Greylingstad 2
Bridge west of Balfour
Bridge over Blesbok Spruit 1
Bridge over Blesbok Spruit 2
Bridge west of Blesbok Spruit
Other structures constructed along the line were (from south to north):
Buildings constructed along the line were (from south to north):
Writings about this entry